|Mr. Hillegas, who enjoys history as well as his coffee.|
- MA, History, Portland State University
- BA, Interdisciplinary Studies, Fairhaven College, Western Washington University
- Historian of the 20th century urban environment in North America, including pollution abatement, the built environment, sustainability, and oral history.
Areas of Specialization:
- Education; Historical Research; Historical Writing; Oral History
- American Society for Environmental History
- Urban History Association
- Organization of American Historians
- Northwest History Network
- Oregon Historical Society
Selected Projects & Publications:
- Working for the “Working River”: Willamette River Pollution, 1926-1975 [working title]. Book in progress, Oregon State University Press, Corvallis, OR.
- “Working for the ‘Working River’: Willamette River Pollution, 1926-1962.” MA Thesis, Portland State University, 2009.
- “With the Determination of the Machine Age: Interstate 5 is Built through Bellingham, Washington, 1945-1966,” The Journal of the Whatcom County Historical Society, Centennial Edition (2004), 105-138.
- Oregon Encyclopedia entries:
- ~jvhillegas AT g mail dot com